Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Now many of you have your own favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, and if you have spent any amount of time on Pinterest you know there are are a lot of recipes claiming to be the best cookie you ever bake. Im not claiming anything but a really tasty cookie that you will make again, and again. Now if you like thick, chewy, and soft cookies these are not for you. I will post that recipe soon. Though my family has some discerning cookie tasters and managed to even wow a few soft cookie enthusiast.
Chocolate Chunk Cookies
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons potato starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup French butter or salted butter – room temperature
½ cup organic granulated sugar – a thick course sugar granule
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
2 large egg yolks at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste – essential
1 tablespoon of milk
2 cups of semisweet/dark chocolate chunked
1. With a medium sized bowl, sift together flour, potato starch, baking soda, baking powder. I use the sieve its faster and gives the cookie great texture. Then place aside.
2. Using your stand mixer or large mixing bowl with electric hand mixer, add butter and sugars and beat till fluffy. No longer than 4 minutes. Then add one egg at a time, mixing completely before adding the next. Finally beat in vanilla bean paste.
3. Turn down mixer and slowly start to add flour mixture in batches to the batter, mixing completely before adding the rest of the flour.
4. Remove the bowl from the mixer and add 1 tablespoon of milk and gently stir in to batter. Finally add chocolate chunks and fold into batter. I include the tiny broken flecks of chocolate too, its what gives the cookies their speckled look.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight or at least 12 hours. It is what develops the nutty flavor in the French butter or salted butter.
6. About 30 minutes before baking preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
7. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper (don’t skip this step it is essential) then using a small cookie scoop, scoop batter and form into a ball then place evenly spaced out onto cookie sheet. Make sure to give them lots of space since they will spread, a lot.
8. Bake for 13 minutes and rotate halfway through. Immediately remove them from the sheet and place on cooling rack. The cookies will have a beautiful browned color and cracked surface.